Can we take a minute to appreciate the wonderfulness which is Speculoos cookie spread please. Most know it as a cookie spread, I know it because Bart introduced me to it and my life will never be the same.
One thing about being in Europe was finding unique things I wouldn't get here in South Africa. On my bike trip to Holland (which you can read about here, first time biking ever etc.) we stumbled upon a great store where I finally got my hands on some Speculoos spice. It's like gold in my life at the moment.
With a visit from my sister for breakfast yesterday, I decided why not add some to cupcakes. Yes and yes absolute hit people ! She ate 3 in under 5 minutes.
- 1 1/2 cup flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 Tsp baking powder
- 2 tbsp Speculoos (spice get the spice mixture recipe here) Use less if you desire.
- 2 eggs
- 5 tbsp oil
- 1 Cup water
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Icing sugar
- Hot water
- Vanilla essence
- Preheat oven to 120
- Mix all dry ingredients
- Add the wet ingredients: eggs, water, oil.
- Mix until smooth consistency.
- Pour batter 3/4 of the way in oiled muffin tins or cupcake holders placed in muffin tins.
- Bake for 35 minutes
- Slowly mix the icing sugar, water and vanilla essence until a smooth consistency. Add more icing sugar until you get your desired consistency. I like mine runny and thin.
- Drizzle baked cupcakes with some glaze and I sprinkled some icing sugar on it for added sweetness.
Have you tried Speculoos spread or cookies? If so between Nutella and Speculoos which is your favorite?
Love & light